New Video: -20201010 The Life of Pumpkins, Purple rice and Peanuts
- 紫米酒 Purple rice wine
- 紫米板栗蒸排骨 Steamed spare ribs with chestnut and purple rice
- 紫米糍粑 Purple rice cake
- 炝南瓜苗 Fried pumpkin sprouts
- 鸡蛋炒南瓜丝 Scrambled egg with pumpkin sprouts
- 卤花生毛豆 Salty peanut and peas
- 紫米松糕月饼 Purple rice moon cakes
- 苋菜鱼头汤 Amaranth and fish head soup
- 紫米酒酿熏鱼 Purple rice wine steamed with grass carp
- 烤南瓜 Baked pumpkin
The post is composed of 3 parts:
Basic Background Information of Li ziqi
Li ziqi’s Dishes & Handicraft Works （Also background music of videos）
Important Events of Li ziqi & Li’s Online Store on Tmall
LI ZIQI – A Modern Chinese Fairy
[Hey, This blog post is going to be quite lengthy. If you’re a die-hard fan of Li ziqi, then you’d better make yourself a nice coffee and sit on your sofa comfortably, before you start reading it from the beginning.]
*Original Content, if reproduce, please indicate the source and this post’s link.*
She is born in the 90s. She’s a girl who lived in the deep mountains of Sichuan (Szechwan), China. Unlike other online celebrities, although she’s famous on the Internet nowadays and always appears in beautiful clothes, Li ziqi was always wearing a modified version of Hanfu (a kind of Han Chinese traditional clothing) back then. She was using the most traditional method, the most traditional tools, but a unique perspective to present Chinese traditional dishes.
She is a “Wonder Woman” in the eyes of her fans, as she can achieve what normal people cannot. Once again, she has shown people the styles of the Han(202BC-220AD) and Tang Dynasty(618-907AD) and let them know more about what life in the countryside is like. She also enables people to experience the life in the countryside which contemporary Chinese people strive for.
For the people living in the cities, this would be like discovering the unknown and exploring an ideal way of life on the farm. People admire her, especially because she uses her own way to combine the elements of the ancient Chinese and the modern life, showing to her audience the traditional Chinese pastoral life and the process of Chinese food production. Her videos fully explain the Chinese people’s traditional concept of family, the Taoist thought of harmony between man and nature.
Who is Li ziqi?
Li Ziqi (Chinese: 李子柒)was born in the remote mountain village of northwestern Pingwu, Mianyang city, China. (Sorry, we can’t release much more personal information of her for protecting this beautiful girl.) She did not have a happy childhood like most of the children. When she was little, her parents got divorced and his father died early. Then, she started living with her grandparents. Their life was poor, but it was also relatively stable. Li Ziqi’s grandfather was a cook working in the countryside. When there was a ceremony going on, be it a wedding or a funeral, her grandfather would be in charge. In the videos, she showed how to cook various dishes, which she had learned from her grandfather. Besides cooking, she also learned how to make bamboo baskets, fishing, growing vegetables and doing carpenter work from her grandparents.
Li ziqi’s stories of growth
At the age of 14, when most of the kids of the same age went to middle school, Li Ziqi dropped out of school and tried to support herself by doing various jobs. She has not been treated well, nor was her fate particularly good at the initial stage of her life. She struggled much to survive – she starved, slept in a cave under a bridge, worked as a waitress, an electrician, sold Hanfu, and she even worked as a DJ at a nightclub. However, after working for 7 to 8 years, it became clearer to her what she really wanted. It also helped her develop the ability to think and judge independently. Also, with all these experiences, she has developed a sense of ‘danger’. No matter what happens, she must keep enough deposits in her bank account in case there is an emergency.
In 2012, her grandmother had a serious illness. Li Ziqi decided to give up everything and return to her hometown so that she could take care of her grandmother. The life at hometown was relaxing. She started work early in the morning and returned home late. Like other farmers who earned their living on the farm, she was living an ordinary life in the countryside.
Big Change. A vlogger? Or a food expert?
In the past few years, in addition to selling crops to make a living, Li Ziqi also opened an online shop in Taobao (Chinese “eBay/Amazon”) to sell some stuff. In 2015, the platforms of China’s short video began to develop, and Li Ziqi found out by chance that her brother was on the app “Meipai” (An App for short videos). Then, she also tried recording some short videos to upload to the app. Her initial idea of doing this was simple – to attract more fans to her Taobao shop through her videos and to grow her business. As a matter of fact, her first videos did not gain a lot of attention, and she even closed her online shop afterward. After a few short videos, she simply stopped making them. On her Taobao shop, only a link to a charity website was left. (Li Ziqi had always wanted to engage herself in charity work. She often participated in such activities, such as charity sales.)
At the end of 2015, after seeing how her brother won a great number of fans through singing and playing the guitar on Meipai, Li Ziqi gave it another thought. She started to consider thoroughly what she was going to put as videos, as she needed to invent ways to earn some other income. Being just an ordinary girl from the 90s who couldn’t really sing or dance, what kind of videos would make her stand out? What about teaching people how to cook? She could gather the ingredients at her backyard and farmland. It would be very convenient and healthy. It would also be a great idea to let the children who grew up in the cities know where their vegetables come from, and how they are transformed into various delicious meals. So, how are these traditional mouthwatering Chinese dishes cooked? Considering this, Li Ziqi named her series of videos #四季更替，适时而食 “Eat according to the change of season”. The editor of Meipai told her that the topic was not very attractive and suggested that she should think of another name. After thinking about it for one night, Li Ziqi came up with a brand-new name – #古香古食 “Fragrance and food with antique flavors.” In the second half of year 2018, there was a new video series named – #朝花夕拾 “Life is a moment”. #春日厨房 “The spring kitchen” starts to be used in her new video on 22nd Feb, 2019.
At first, Li Ziqi’s videos on Meipai didn’t attract a lot of fans. She didn’t receive a lot of likes in a day. What happened later was that a few food experts started to pay attention to her videos, and soon started to forward them. Her number of fans then greatly increased. Also, with the help of the experts, she put her videos on Weibo (Chinese Twitter) in April 2016 which gained attention very quickly.
In September 2016, ‘SINA Weibo’ began to publicly look for excellent short video producers as it was planning to use all resources to help these potential producers develop. ‘L couple’, the husband is a company CEO who is a business partner with SINA, discovered by chance the videos of Li Ziqi and felt that those videos could help them fulfill the “dreams of the countryside”, and these are the dreams of the contemporary Chinese people too. The videos also let more people understand Chinese traditions and culture.
In 2017, Li Ziqi became a new online celebrity in China, she has then been known as a food expert. In front of the camera, she always appears in a set of Chinese Han clothing’s made with rough fabric and showcases the traditional Chinese cuisine through a unique perspective.
Why did Li Ziqi’s videos gain so much attention in such a short time?
As Li Ziqi said in an interview, “I am shooting about my imaginary life in the future.” In an elegant traditional Hanfu, she appears in a place like Utopia, surrounded by a landscape with an old-fashioned attractiveness, all-natural ingredients, simple and practical cooking utensils, traditional yet retro cooking steps that fascinate her audience deeply. It helps to relax a lot of people who are living a busy urban life. Her videos with an ancient style are very eye-catching, just like being washed by a chilly wind. The word “traditional” describes her videos the best.
All by her own effort, Li Ziqi has explored a whole new area of short videos – making delicious meals in an ancient style. Watching her videos may make you feel like traveling in a time machine, as if a versatile beautiful lady from ancient China has come to the modern Internet world. Her videos have also made her audience dream of “Taoyuan Meng” (the dream of Utopia) as well.
Is there a team supporting Li Ziqi?
A three-people team（built on 18th May, 2017）: Li Ziqi, A “part-time” photographer and a cute assistant (Her name: Ming Guo 民国) (born in 1997).
Why is it that the quality of her videos so high? And what is the brand and model of the camera?
The camera type: Canon 70D, F18-135 lens. Without inner anti-shake function. Half frame(APS-C).
The video was initially shot by Li Ziqi alone, and it was filmed and edited by her mobile phone-IPHONE 6 (Isn’t it hard to imagine? Yes, it was all done by one mobile phone). The video “Peach Blossom Wine” released on 25th March 2016 was also taken by her mobile phone. One can see that its quality was not very high. The video was a little blurry and unstable.
After she bought her SLR (digital single lens reflex) and a tripod, the quality of her videos greatly improved, even though she still often had to finish the shooting process alone. Sometimes, when there were angles that even her tripod could not reach, she’d ask for help from the village head, her grandmother, relatives and neighbors. Even her video ‘Lanzhou Ramen” was edited on her phone, and due to the fact that there wasn’t enough storage, there were quite many crashes. On 13th May 2017, a short video was uploaded on Weibo explaining how she relied on a mobile phone, a SLR and a tripod to complete the whole shooting process.
The quality of her videos has never ceased to improve. At the beginning, she asked a few friends who were photographers for tips, so that she could learn further how to choose the background, do framing and editing. After experiencing the “stopping updating video event” on 13th May 2017, she gave procuration to a friend to introduce a professional cameraman to shoot the videos on a part-time basis, while insisting that the photographer needed to follow her own ideas and framing. After learning how to edit her videos, their quality began to rapidly increase.
How did she choose her background music?
Li Ziqi once worked as a DJ at a nightclub, and she knew a bit about music composition and adaptation. With the limitations of her mobile phone, her fans might find that the effect of the combination of her videos and background music was less than ideal. After 2017, since she had mastered the skill of editing, the quality of the background music went even higher.
Why does her makeup always look gorgeous?
Isn’t her makeup very professional as well? And pretty? Most of the time, she put on makeup herself, while her cousin sister sometimes helps. When you browse through her Weibo back in 2015, you will find out that she is a classical Chinese girl born in the 90s, from the way she dresses.
(Do you want to get one set of Chinese Traditional Hand-Made Rouge/Makeup? Please visit here.)
Does Li Ziqi have a contracting company?
She currently has a contract with “WEINIAN” Technology, a startup company engaged in KOL (Key Opinion Leader). This company gives her space to grow and she now has more time to achieve more meaningful business.
The company that helps her to do commercial operation and product promotion. (WEINIAN is a large MCN “Multi-channel network” type company in China)
About that big Chinese rose wall.
Li ziqi took over a week and five tons of bamboo to build that big wall. She gave it a beautiful name: “Chinese Rose Wall 月季墙”.
Why is she called Li Ziqi? And what does it mean?
There is a popular saying among the Chinese fans “there’s a girl Ziqi in the Li family. 李家有女,其名子柒” Also, fans specifically wrote this poem for her “if I were female, I would be Ziqi. 我若为女，愿为子柒。”
“柒” (Qi) is the traditional version of the simplified Chinese character of “七” (also Qi).Although on the surface, it represents the number 7 in Chinese, there’re still several other meanings behind.
In ancient China, there was a saying “Seven, the beginning of the four heavens and the earth.” and “Seven, the positive side of the Sun.” This being said, in Taoism, seven is the sum of the five elements and that of Yin and Yang. It’s the status of “harmony”, thus closely related to kindness and beauty.
“若与子有染，愿为子倾献。欲以子执念，倾以子其心。“Its meaning is “if I love you, I’m willing to give my everything. I’ll think about you every day and put you in my heart.” 子Zi means husband or man; 柒Qi means love or affection.
In modern Chinese, “柒Qi” has the same pronunciation as “妻”(meaning wife). And “子zi” could mean male or masculinity. Don’t forget that Li Ziqi likes her fans calling her “brother Qi” and her first online alias “Walking M-style”.
Whatever it means, “Ziqi” means the pursuit of a beautiful, romantic life. In reality, Qi is related to her nickname as well. If you speak the Sichuan dialect, you’d naturally find that the villagers inher videos usually call her “Qi baby” (柒娃), and her Grandma calls her Jiajia (佳佳). (Of course, you may wonder the origins of those names, but it’s related to privacy issues and we’re not going to dig into that. Hopefully you will understand.)
Interview with Sina Media in early July 2019
Do you like your current lifestyle?
“I like it when I am not filming. Filming and living are actually two different concepts.”
Netizens perceive you as having strong hands-on ability. Did you learn all these skills from your grandparents?
“Not entirely, I’d say partially. It’s only that when you live in such an environment, you naturally have to learn all sorts of skills. ‘The life skills in your eyes are just survival skills of the others’.“
Are you still editing your own videos? Why not let your photographer do it for you?
”I used to edit them on my own. But now I do it with my photographer. He organizes the materials and I edit the main part, change some colors and add subtitles to it.
You will never know what to retain or edit if you haven’t edited them yourself.“
Some netizens want to know more about your private life. Do you have any plans of looking for your Mr. Right and getting married?
”Not at the moment. Destiny is a mysterious and wonderful thing. We have no control over it, we just have to go with the flow.“
Someone said that you are from a rich family, is that true?
”In reality, it’s totally the opposite. Since I was in primary four, I had appeared in newspaper for more than once, but not for good reasons. As I was from a poor family, I could only finish my education thanks to many good people’s donations. As I’ve received and felt the goodwill of people, when I became famous, I decided to participate in more charity activities as well. The kind people were like the Sun who sent light to my life, and I’m sure those fortunate children, after receiving help, will vow to help other people too.“
Will you keep this Chinese style in your videos?
”It’s hard to say, as the future is uncertain. I just have to do my best for everything at the moment.“
Some people have said that the life shown in your videos do not reflect the real rural life, what do you think of this comment?
”You see, China has developed rapidly in many aspects, even in rural life. You have to think of your own ways to improve your living. My only purpose to create videos is to make people feel relaxed and happy.“
A short conversation with Li’s assistant(Min’Guo)
Do you have an online store selling Li’s products(like food or crafts) overseas?
No, we don’t have any plans to sell products overseas at the moment. But we are sure to open an online store in the future.
As we know, a lot of fake Li’s products have been on sale in China recently.
Yes, we issued a statement in August to take legal action against counterfeit products and to defend our rights.
(A flagship store of Li’s products on Tmall run by 杭州微念科技有限公司 Weinian: Li’s Store)
Does she also have her own company?
In May 2017, she registered her own company with the name “Li Ziqi”.
Does she also endorse any advertisement with contract?
There are very few advertisements in her videos currently, but she does not oppose the idea of endorsing them. The condition is that the advertisement has to be in line with her style, and that it can promote Chinese culture and be accepted by young people.
Is Li Ziqi’s the way of dressing up herself the same as she appears in her videos?
Li Ziqi is usually dressed as an ordinary young person living in the rural area, sometimes even more casual. Hardcore fans might find that in 2016 or 2017, not a lot of videos were uploaded for a few months. That is because of the busy farming seasons in Spring and in Autumn. Li Ziqi grows a lot of crops at home, such as popcorn, peanuts; they also need to feed the pigs and raise silkworm, which is the major source of income of her family. In 2018, Li Ziqi started to focus more on video production.
Fans: Ziqi, how do you care for your hair?
Li ziqi: I don’t wash it often!
How can Li Ziqi’s dressing style be so good-looking?
Starting from the beginning, Li Ziqi’s videos have a strong focus on being ‘traditonal’. The style of videos is all about a ‘traditonal style’ and ‘traditonal touch’. The way she dresses in the videos are also perfectly in line with this style. Li Ziqi had acquired some experience in selling the Chinese Han clothing’s in her early years, she knows about Hanfu very well. In her videos, she often appeared in an improved version of Hanfu. Her style was simple, minimalistic, yet matching well. Her clothing’s add a traditonal tone to the videos.
In the summertime:
Li Ziqi in a loose, dark blue top made with cotton and linen, light grey pants in cotton and linen and traditional clout-shoes.
For many times, Li Ziqi wore this set of clothes in front of the camera. Its loose design, breathable cotton and linen fabric looked simple and down-to-earth on her. She can handle carpenter work, work in the farm and cooking very well. It fully reveals the masculine side of her. All of her fans call her “Qi Ye” (Brother Qi).
In a video, Li Ziqi is sitting on a swing, wearing a green long-sleeved top and yarn skirt. She looks like a fairy inside the veil. White long top with Chinese frog and long skirt, it’s designed to accentuate the lady’s figure and to highlight the Chinese style. Li Ziqi in a long, bright red dress and holding ‘Taohua Zui’ (Peach Blossom Wine – a kind of Chinese wine), looking like a goddess.
Li Ziqi looks like a fairy in her white long dress. The wide lower hem adds an ancient touch to it.
A light blue shirt with Chinese frog. Normally speaking, a piece of clothing with Chinese frog（Chinese buttonhole loop）has a strong Chinese style.
In the video of 24 May 2019, Li Ziqi appeared in a printed cheongsam (Qipao), a loose beige coat and a light blue headscarf, she’s just like a little female cook from the 1920s.（It’s the first time she wore this non-Hanfu dressings）
In the cold winter:
Li Ziqi in a red cloak and looks very feminine with the snow as a backdrop.
A grey cloak is extravagant in a low profile.
(We will write a new post about HANFU later, please stay tuned!)
The knife of Li Ziqi
The knife of ‘Brother Qi’ is of no way an ordinary one. It can be used for cutting, carpenter work and heating the furnace. It can be used for so many purposes that it can be seen as a magical tool.
This knife is called “chopper” in China. More accurately speaking, it is a combination of a chopper and a kitchen knife (Chinese cleaver). This kind of hand-forged knives is still widely seen in Chinese rural areas.
All over the world, only Chinese cooks have the possibility to use one single knife anywhere and for any occasion. In the culinary world, the level of a chef is shown by how well he practices his knife. Chinese kitchen knives are usually very versatile (meaning that they are served for multiple purposes) – they can cut, chop, mince and slice. One can say that Chinese kitchen knives are designed specifically for Chinese cuisine. (History of Chinese Cleaver)
In the “Spring and Autumn and Warring States of Period”(770-221BC), more than 2,800 years ago, China began to use ironware extensively. During the same period, the steelmaking technology appeared. The most common tool used by people – the kitchen knife, was then made with iron. Since the Song Dynasty(960-1279AD) which was 1,200 years ago, due to the development of iron-smelting technology, the development of cutting tools entered its heyday. Many irons were made into steel.
As China had always been an agrarian society for almost 4000 years, its productivity was not at a high level. To rapidly develop the iron-smelting technology, or to spread it extensively was not possible. For the society at that time, iron/steel was a precious material, many families thus could only afford one knife for different usages in the household.
Thousands of years of iron smelting history have contributed to a large number of highly skilled blacksmiths, who made full use of existing materials to create a variety of knives. Those knives were suitable for general use of the household. At that time, steel-clamping technology was widely applied in the making of Chinese kitchen knives. This technology saved the use of steel and fulfilled the user’s requirements regarding the hardness of the knife. It was both economical and practical, easy to grind, and thus very popular for families in general. (History of Chinese Sabre)
Much attention to detail is required when making Chinese kitchen knives, as their weight is a crucial factor in their performance of a lot of tasks. They have a long handle and a wide blade. The spine is thick and the grind is thin. The front of the blade is used for cutting and the back is used for chopping. Chinese kitchen knives have the right length and weight, they are therefore not only suitable for general household use, but also for rural people to chop wood. Although modern iron-smelting technology has highly developed, a lot of families still prefer using a chopper for this purpose. It is because of the Chinese people’s habit and the specialties of Chinese cuisine. It also represents a kind of cultural heritage.
Why is the environment in which Li Ziqi lives so picturesque?
Sichuan province is known as the “Land of Heaven” in China. The land is fertile, and it is rich in resources. It has beautiful sceneries like those in Jiangnan（sceneries in the southern parts of China）and in the Northwest. It is located in Mianyang, the northwestern part of the Sichuan Basin, with Gansu in the north, and Sichuan Basin in the south. It has four distinct seasons and a wide variety of plants. Therefore, we can see both the mountains and lakes in the video, as well as the exotic scenery of Jiangnan.
What kind of fungi(mushrooms) has appeared in the videos of Li Ziqi?
Located in the northwest of the Sichuan Basin, there are snow-capped mountains, primitive deep forests, lake basins. The span is large and so the local fungi are abundant.
- Collybia albuminosa. The kind of mushroom is thick and fat and has a silky white texture. It contains amino acids, proteins, fats which are essential for the human body. It also contains various vitamins and substances, such as calcium,
phosphorus, and riboflavin. There are multiple ways to eat collybia albuminosa – it can be used as a dish alone, or mixed with vegetables, fish and various kinds of seafood. It can be fried, pickled, stir-fried, mixed, braised, roasted, or cooked as soup. The taste is fresh and it’s the king of all kinds of mushroom.
- Matsutake is a rare and precious edible fungus. It is also known as the “king of mushroom”. It grows in alpine woodland with an altitude of over 3,500 meters in the cold temperate zone.
In the Song Dynasty, Matsutake was mentioned in a book of the History of Herbs. The harvesting season of Matsutake falls from early August to mid-October. It has a special aroma and tastes like abalone. It is extremely smooth and refreshing.
- Ganoderma lucidum (Lingzhi): It has the effects of tonifying the qi and soothing the nerves, relieving cough and symptoms of asthma.
It can have a life-prolonging effect. It can be cured for dizziness, sleeplessness, shortness of breath, neurasthenia and cough.
What kind of traditional Chinese cuisine and handicraft works has Li Ziqi done?
Her fans praise that her videos are like a ‘clear stream’ in the Chinese short video industry in 2017. Li Ziqi, with her hair often tied up as a bun and in her rough clothing’s, running around in her field and makes use of the harvested fruits, vegetables to transform them into various traditional Chinese dishes. No matter if it’s her dishes or handicraft works, she strongly emphasizes on ‘tradition’. Through her videos, she hopes to promote Chinese cuisine at an extraordinary angle.
*Number of fans on Weibo(SINA): about 15.3 million
*Fans on Facebook: about 1.7 million
*Number of subscribers on her YouTube channel: about 2.1 million
What are the materials of Li ziqi’s “wok kitchen”? And what size of the wok?
Wok material: cast iron
Cooking stove material: bricks(inner), concrete(outer).
The list of dishes and handicraft works made by Li ziqi
(Until January 2019, there are 120 videos uploaded on Weibo and 108 of them are focused on gastronomy.)
– 20160325 Peach Blossom Wine
– 20160411 Fresh & salted pork with bamboo shoot soup (music: 绿野仙踪 by 陈悦)
– 20160418 Steamed pagodatree flower (music:红尘客栈 by Jay Chow 周杰伦)
– 20160424 Cherry wine (music:美丽的神话 by 孙楠/韩红)
– 20160425 Mashed artemisia argyi (music:烟花易冷 by Jay Chow 周杰伦)
– 20160427 Pei Pa Koa (A kind of honey loquat flavored sore throat syrup)
(music: 初见 by 胡育林)
– 20160502 Weaving a basket using a palm leaf
– 20160510 Crucian carp soup (music:三寸天堂)
– 20160513 Fried ham with dandelion and dandelion congee (music:乱红 by 陈悦) (According to the Compendium of Materia Medica:dandelion can help detoxifying a human body and cure tuberculosis)
– 20160515 Canned loquat (music: 千年之恋 by 金莎)
– 20160519 Rose vinegar (edible Damask rose) (music:千古 by 阿兰)
– 20160604 Golden preserved egg (music: 绿野仙踪 by 陈悦)
– 20160620 Spicy and sour shredded potatoes
– 20160702 Raspberry Popsicle (music: 花间梦事 by 王俊雄)
– 20160704 Guanyin Tofu (Tofu made by leaf of privet-lide premna) (music: 绿野仙踪 by 陈悦)
– 20160706 Pumpkin Egg Tart (music: 雨碎江南 by 河图)
– 20160708 Honeysuckle Tea (music:青花瓷 by Jay Chow 周杰伦)
– 20160710 Green plum wine (music: 桃花渡 by 陈悦)
– 20160713 Watermelon multi-layered cake (music: 万物共鸣 by 巫娜)
– 20160724 Lotus tea (music: 我好像在哪见过你 by 薛之谦)
– 20160809 Fried thin paste (Proper fruit) (music: 七夕 by 银临)
– 20160814 Fried lotus (music: 秋华梦月 by 韩AMSEIS)
– 20160822 Jasmine sauce (music: 清明上河图 by 李玉刚)
– 20160829 Jinhua ham stir-fried with collybia albuminosa (music: 岭头山色 by 巫娜)
– 20160901 Beggar’s chicken (music: 莲花 by 李玉刚)
– 20160905 Dongpo Pork (music: 阆中之恋 by 姚贝娜)
– 20160907 Ferrero chocolate in hazelnut flavor (music:惊鸿一面 by 黄龄/许嵩)
– 20160912 Traditional handmade Sichuan moon cake (music: The foggy dew by Bandari)
– 20160916 Osmanthus wine (music: 开悟 by 巫娜)
– 20160924 Shanxi sliced noodles (music: 千年风雅 by 周子雷)
– 20161003 Braised pork with kimchi in soya sauce (music: Always with me ‘いつも何度でも’ by 宗次郎)
– 20161007 Snakehead fish porridge (from the book of Divine Farmer’s Herb-Root Classic: black fish / Snakeheaded fish is a top-graded freshwater fish that has nourishing effect on pregnant women and the elderly) (music: 花间梦事 by 王俊雄)
– 20161009 Chongyang cake(“Double Ninth Festival” Cake) (music: 雨碎江南 by 河图)
– 20161017 Brown sugar ginger jujube cream (good for pregnant women and girls with cold hands and feet in winter. It also has a positive effect for people who have a habit of drinking.) (music: 一袖云)
– 20161030 Canned oranges (music:风筝误 by 刘珂矣)
– 20161114 Lanzhou Ramen (music: 花间梦事 by 王俊雄) (It took Li Ziqi three months to learn how to make the authentic Lanzhou Ramen. First, it already took her one month to learn how to knead dough. It is absolutely authentic in terms of the ingredients and the techniques used. The ramen made has the following five characteristics: clear (the soup), white (radish), red (chili oil), green (coriander and garlic), yellow (noodles). Even a master of Lanzhou Ramen was amazed at the authenticity of the Lanzhou Ramen she made. At this time, the number of Weibo fans had exceeded 300,000, and there were more than 10,000 comments, people who liked and shared the video)
– 20161124 Bamboo rice (music: The foggy dew by Bandari)
– 20161129 Rice candy (music:风筝误 by 刘珂矣)
– 20161208 Shepherd’s purse dumplings (shepherd’s purse, a kind of vegetable) (music:故乡的原风景 by 宗次郎)
– 20170122 Spicy and sour squirrel Fish (Squirrelfish: Yellow croaker /carp. This video utterly shows the beauty of the winter in the northwestern part of Sichuan) (music: 追梦人)
– 20170215 Strawberry Wine (music: 山谷里飘来的风 by 王俊雄)
– 20170331 Green dumplings
– 20170409 Cherry Blossom Tea
– 20170417 Production of a swing (there is an accumulation of 93,000 shares, 10,500 comments, 441,000 likes, 110 million views. This marks also an incredible growth of Li Ziqi’s video on Weibo, it also let her fans know more about her magical tool – the most versatile knife of hers.)
– 20170427 Loquat Wine
– 20170508 Rose sauce (edible Damask rose)
– 20170523 Spicy crayfish
– 20170525 Raspberry Sauce
– 20170527 Clothes dyed from grape skin
– 20170610 Raspberry wine
– 20170622 Stir-fried wine-preserved fish
– 20170630 Making bean sprouts in a traditional way
– 20170708 Corn pone
– 20170714 Lotus wine
– 20170722 Collybia albuminosa noodles
– 20170728 Sichuan broad bean paste (bean sauce is called “the soul of Sichuan cuisine”)
Boil one kilo of broad beans until they’re half-cooked, peel and put them into a utensil, spread them out for drying.
Cover them with yellow wattle leaves and dry them for five days to make them into mildew beans. Add liquor to mix with the mildew beans thoroughly to remove mildew.
Prepare fresh chili peppers (about 10 kilos), wash and dry them. Then, chop the chili peppers, put in the beans that have been mixed with liquor, salt (3 kilos), ginger (0.5 kilo), pepper (0.5 kilo) and mix all well. Seal it with double gauze, then let it dry under the sun for thirty days.
Turn the sauce jar once a day in the morning. The prepared bean paste sealed with hot rapeseed oil can be preserved for two years.
– 20170818 Canned yellow peach
– 20170912 Chinese Traditional Rouge (in this video, Li Ziqi shows how to make rouge using the traditional practice. This video is very popular among her female fans, the number of shares and comments reached a new high. There is a comment which says, “now I know why Jia Baoyu in ‘Dream of Red Mansions’ liked to eat rouge, because the ancient Chinese rouge was made of various food ingredients.” It attracted 144,000 shares, 123,000 comments, 481,000 likes.)
Step 1. Ingredients: beehive, dried roselles，dried damask roses, dried groomwell roots or Arnebia(not necessary), olive oil, corn flour, and pearl powder. Cook the beehive in the warm water and let it melt down and cool down. Finally, filter it and beeswax comes up. The other ingredients should be soaked into olive oil for around ten days. Then get a kind of oil named’anthocyanins’. Put all beeswax and anthocyanins into a little bottle, and melt them down by warm water. Mix with corn flour and pearl powder—-Chinese Traditional Rouge/Makeup.
Step 2: Ingredients: damask rose leaves, white wine. Add white wine and mash all leaves, and squeeze all juice into a pot. Use small fire to stew it—Chinese Traditional Lip Papers/Lipsticks
Step 3：Ingredients: coffee powder, indigo naturalis powder(not necessary), bamboo charcoal powder, beeswax, and olive oil. Warm up and melt down beeswax and olive oil, and then put all ingredients into the pot—Chinese Traditional Eyebrow Cream
– 20170923 Spicy shredded dried beef
– 20171002 Su-styled mooncake with meat fillings
– 20171013 Taro rice
– 20171020 E Jiao paste (E jiao: donkey-hide gelatin)
– 20171028 Brine Tofu
– 20171118 Manual papermaking (this is one of the Four Great Inventions in ancient China)
– 20171202 Firewood cooked chicken
– 20171216 Handmade clout-shoes
– 20171223 Jujube cake
– 20180113 Steamed cured meat
– 20180123 Laba porridge (There is a famous Chinese kids’ song on this. Back in the ancient times, children looked forward to having Laba porridge, as it would mean that the Chinese New Year was coming soon.)
– 20180210 Bread kiln (This video has contributed to the peak for Li Ziqi in 2018, proving what they say, ‘Brother Qi is a “Wonder Woman” who can do anything.’ Again, her magical tool-that knife, fascinated her fans. Through a vivid way, she told people the production process of a home earth kiln and how to cook with it. It brought about12.6 million shares, 131,000 comments, 727, 000 likes, 190 million views.) (Music:Fate/Stay Night 騎士王の誇り by 川井憲次)
– 20180214 Steamed Abalone with Fake Shark’s Fin and Fish Maw (Li Ziqi emphasized that she had used artificial shark fins in this video.)
– 20180215 New Year’s Eve dinner
– 20180316 Traditional slow-cooked shad codfish
– 20180331 Peach Blossom Cake, Peach Blossom Tea, Peach Blossom Sauce (Li Ziqi emphasized that pregnant ladies should have them sparingly.)
– 20180427 Acanthopanax with fried bacon
– 20180504 Pea jelly
Pea jelly is a cold dish in Sichuan.
Seasonings: Chopped green onion; Parsley; Ginger; Garlic; Dried red pepper
(The above ingredients need to be chopped. I personally like to sprinkle fried peanuts on top as well.)
Vinegar; soy sauce; MSG (chicken powder is recommended)
Put these seasoning on top, then pour a layer of hot oil to make the pea jelly.
First, you need dried peas to make pea powder. If there is no stone mill, you can use a blender to make the pea flour. The ratio of pea flour to water is 1:5, stir the mixture while you put the powder into it (Of course, you can also put the dried peas and water into the blender to make pea pulp.
Then, add a little water to the pea slurry and dilute it.) Pour the diluted pea pulp into the non-woven cloth to filter out the bean dregs and soy milk. This process needs to be repeated several times to filter out more bean dregs to make smoother pea powder. Precipitate the soy milk for half an hour.
Pour out the excess water, leave about a quarter of the water and the precipitated soy flour, stir well, put in the pot, and simmer in medium and small heat. Stirring is required during the decoction, or there will be a burnt pea casserole at the bottom.
Then, wait for it to become like paste (the paste that toddlers eat), then you can turn off the fire, remove it from the container and leave it to be cooled.
At last, you can cut it into your favorite shape.
There is another one with sweet flavor. You can use boiled water and brown sugar to make brown sugar water. All the seasonings listed above would not be used. Just pour the ready-made, thick brown sugar water to make sweet pea jelly.
– 20180516 Dried cherries, cherry sauce, cherry wine
– 20180527 Damask rose sauce, wine, cake
– 20180701 Passionfruit lemon curd, dried passion fruit tea, fried black potatoes, passion fruit lemon chicken feet, brown sugar taro (passion fruit is a tropical / subtropical fruit, after careful cultivation by Li Ziqi for a whole year, in 2018, she finally saw the results.)
– 20180713 Braised Beef Brisket with Tomato
– 20180727 Chicken with slow-cooked rice, Guanyin Tofu, Wild Mushroom Chicken Soup (Collybia albuminosa)
– 20180808 Chinese Secret Sauce
– 20180810 Changbai Mountain Ginseng Honey Sauce
– 20180812 Fu tea (A kind of special tea made for hot summer days)
– 20180814 Chinese red-cooked lamb legs
This dish comes from Huzhou 湖州 on the edge of Tai lake and belongs to the Zhejiang cuisine.
(In general, the first step is to boil a wok of water to remove the blood of the lamb. But Li ziqi did not do that.)
- Dried beancurd sticks and Dried black fungus should be soaked in freshwater for 4 hours in advance.
- There are two ways to get rid of the smell of lamb. Before cooking, using cooking wine and fresh ginger juice to marinate it for 1 hour. Or just use ginger juice to marinate it, if you are not able to use any kind of wine.(This secret method is from a lamb kebabs vender. A bulk of ginger juice is the key.)
- Cooking steps: boiling oil melts down rock sugar; put all lamb into the wok and wait its color turn into dark brown; put all ingredients into the wok, and fry them over medium heat for 5 minutes, then low heat for 1 hour; Last, turn into high heat until all liquids are reduced and absorbed.
Fresh lamb 1000g
Fresh red peppers
Purple skin garlic / garlic
Dried tangerine peels
Dried beancurd sticks 腐竹
Dried black fungus
Fructus Amomi Rotundus / Amomum cardamomum / Bai Dou Kou白豆蔻
Seasonings: Cooking oil / Rock sugar / Dark soy sauce / Light soy sauce / Fine salt / Cooking wine
– 20180818 Movable-type printing (this is one of the Four Great Inventions in China. Li Ziqi spent more than three months learning this ancient craft that has been lost for more than a thousand years.)
– 20180907 Autumn pear paste
-20180922 Nan Bamboo Sofa (Nan Bamboo is mainly grown in subtropical/tropical areas of China, it has the characteristics of moisture absorption and heat reduction, it can also withstand grinding and corrosion, and is commonly used in the manufacture of furniture.)
– 20181006 Dried persimmon
– 20181016 Silk quilt, silk clothing’s (It almost took Li Ziqi half a year to shoot this video. The whole process went from planting mulberry trees, raising silkworms, collecting mulberry leaves, to drying silkworm cocoons, boiling silkworm cocoons, silk reeling (making silk pockets), drying silk pockets, pulling silk net, setting the inner parts, positioning, then finishing with the quilt cover. In the part of ‘pulling silk net’, several people who had never appeared in her previous videos, did this time. They were the head of the village, her relatives and neighbors.)
– 20181018 Beef sauce
1.Prepare an approximate proportion of sugar cane, sugar cane juice and brown sugar – out of 20 kilograms of sugar cane, obtain about 10 kilograms of sugar cane juice, and this amount of sugar cane juice can probably produce about 1 kilogram of brown sugar. (Attention: the sugar cane used to extract brown sugar is different from the sugar cane sold in the market. The sugar cane mentioned here is smaller, with a harder texture, and contains more sugar.)
2.Remove the leaves from the sugar cane and start juicing, use a cloth of fine gauze to remove impurities. Use a big fire to boil the sucrose water and remove the floating bubbles on top. It is best to prepare two to three pots – use a big fire for the first pot, medium fire for the second and small fire for the third (a small fire is essential here to cook slowly). In fact, for the “traditionally boiled brown sugar”, a total of 18 pots are needed. The first one generally requires the biggest fire, and you’ll need to use a smaller fire consecutively for the pots that follow. The water in the sucrose water is evaporated continuously from the first pot to the last one, while the concentration and viscosity of the sugar are also increasing. In the process, apply a big fire to get big bubbles, then a small fire to get small bubbles gradually. In the 18 pots of cane juice, they appear in different levels of amber colors.
3.When all the sucrose water is in the third pot, it is essential to keep stirring to prevent the sucrose from being burnt (this process would take about one hour). There is a way to judge the viscosity of brown sugar- take a spoonful of brown sugar and drip it into the pot, see whether it appears as “stacked” (imagine when you’re making chocolate). At this time, the sucrose water is called red syrup. Then, use a large container to hold the red syrup, and stir it constantly to mix the air with the syrup. Stir it until you see a lot of air bubbles in it. This syrup will become grainy after drying (this step is especially critical). Finally, put the syrup into a module and it will harden while being cooled.
– 20181125 Hot and Sour Noodles(made by sweet potato)
1. Shred the sweet potatoes or slice them into thin portions, then keep simmering them in the water.
2. Put the crushed sweet potato inside a cloth of fine gauze to obtain the sweet potato starch. Leave it for a few hours to allow the sweet potato starch to settle.
3. Remove the sweet potato starch and add a proper amount of water to stir. Filter again with a cloth fine gauze to obtain a more delicate sweet potato starch liquid. At this time, there is crude red potato dregs in the gauze, now add minced pork, eggs, chopped green onion, salt, soy sauce, edible oil, etc., they can be made into sweet potato meat. Leave a portion of the sweet potato starch liquid in the container and place in a cool place for one night to allow sufficient precipitation. Then, put a portion of sweet potato starch liquid into the pot. First, use a big fire, then a small fire, continue to stir with chopsticks, wait until it becomes transparent, turn off the fire and put it in a container to be cooled. Buckle the cooled sweet potato pulp on the cutting board and cut it into strips of the size of the index finger. Add ginger, minced garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, pepper oil, chili oil, cooked white sesame and mix all thoroughly, then you’ll get sweet potato jelly.
4. Remove some of the precipitated sweet potato pulp, put it into a cloth of fine gauze, and let it dry for a day or two in a cool place (the length of time needed for drying depends on the local climate). Take out the dried sweet potato starch and filter it with a sieve. Add warm water into the starch and continuously stir it to form a paste. Finally, press it down with your hand and check if the starch paste can bounce back. Boil a pot of hot water, place the starch paste on a net, hang it on the pot, put the starch paste into the pot and boil it into a transparent form. Remove the starch, put in cold water and get the fine sweet potato noodles. Place it in a cool place to dry and harden. Then, your fine sweet potato noodles is made.(Ingredients: Pea shoots, fried soybeans, fried peanuts, spicy dried turnip strips，dried beancurd sticks(soak into the water until soft), dried seaweeds (cooked before use), marinade（light soy sauce instead）, mature vinegar, and red chili oil.)
– 20190118 Homemade Sichuan Preserved Meat Dishes
(Flavorings: dried cloves, white peppers / black peppers, dried sand gingers, dried Sichuan peppers, bay leaves, dried star aniseeds, cinnamon, fine salt;
Process: 1.)mash all flavorings, adding warm soy source. 2.)optimal proportion of meat and fine salt: meat 100g / find salt 3g. 3.)the curing time: 3 days. 4.)the smoking time: 3-5 hours. 5.)the smoking materials: cypress branches & leaves+ pomelo peels. 6.)the drying time：15 days. 7.)Soak into warm water to make preserved meat soften before cooking.)
Chinese sugar-coated fruit;
Spicy beef jerky;
Peanut sesame brittle;
Salty sunflower seeds;
Crispy fried egg rolls :egg liquid 50g, milk 120g, plain flour 100g, honey, granulated sugar 50g, corn oil/unsalted butter 50g
Snowflake crisps: non-stick pan(important), marshmallow 200g, milk powder 130g, cranberry, chestnuts, cookies, dried strawberries, corn oil/unsalted butter 40g. The ratio of marshmallow, milk powder and butter is so important. The crisp will not be so hard or too soft, but chewy at the right ratio.
– 20190204 Chinese New Year’s Eve Dinner
1.诸事顺利Pieces come together(凉菜：冻猪皮cold dish: jelly pig skin). 诸zhū(all the things )sounds like 猪zhū(piggy) in Chinese
2.大吉大利 Good luck (荷叶糯米栗子鸡 roasted lotus leaves wrapping chicken stuffed with chestnuts and sticky rice ) 吉jí（lucky）sounds like 鸡jī（chicken）, and 利lì（wealth）sounds like 栗lì（chestnut）in Chinese.
3.花好月圆 Blooming flowers and full moon （猪肉馅饼 Pork pies）
4.福气满满 Full blessing （蒸菜：福袋Steamed dish：Steamed vegetables in shape of blissful bag）coloring material: dragon fruit Juice
5.金银满仓 A wealthy life (小吃：炸土豆丝+椒盐+瓜子 Snack：spiced salt ‘French fries’ with sunflower seeds)
6.笑口常开 Joy forever. (藕夹肉 deep-fried lotus roots served with pork) The shape of the lotus roots looks like ‘big mouth laughing’
7.年年有余 Surplus year after year （凉菜：凉拌鲫鱼，鲫鱼汤 cold dish: cold crucian carp in Sichuan spicy saucy, crucian carp soup）余yú (abundance) sounds like 鱼yú（fish）in Chinese.
8.只属于你 Only for you （甜品:紫薯芋泥 dessert: mashed purple sweet potato）只属zhǐ shǔ（only belongs）sounds like 紫薯 zǐ shǔ in Chinese.
9.生财有道Creating wealth（素菜：生菜+松子 vegetable dishes: stir-fried iceberg lettuce served with pine nuts）生菜 shēng cài (iceberg lettuce) sounds like 生财 shēng cái（earning money).
10.阖家团圆 Family reunion（腊肉拼盘，All kind of Sichuan preserved meats made dish）阖 in Chinese means: all family members.
– 20190222 Preserved Szechuan Pickles + Peanut porridge + Plum Blossom Puffs(Recipes on this post)
– 20190301 Old duck soup (old duck stewed with pickles)
1. fresh old duck meats boiled with fresh water and cooking wine
2. prepare another pot, put old duck meats, green onions, ginger and pickles into the pot, medium/small fire to stew for 2 hours.
3. strawberries drink (strawberries + Champagne/Sparkling wine)
– 20190309 Peach gum syrup 桃花泪 (Ingredients: peach gums/peach resins 桃胶 Táo Jiāo, white wood ears/ tremella 银耳, dried red dates 红枣, goji berries 枸杞, dried strawberries 草莓干, rock sugar 冰糖)
1.The making of ink 墨的制作
Use a stoneware bowl, fill it with Tung oil 桐油, make it into a Tung oil lamp to roast soot. Then, add water and stir, this step is called “ash washing”. Put in a cool place for one night so that the ash can precipitate. Remove the ash and put it in a cool place and let it dry for one year. Prepare an appropriate amount of borneol 冰片, gold foil, musk 麝香, pearl powder, oxhide gelatin 牛皮胶 and bovine bone glue 牛骨胶. Add the oxhide gelatin and bovine bone glue into the container and steam them into the form of glue, this is called “boiling glue”. Then, add borneol, gold foil, musk and the pearl powder into the container and grind them into powder form. Then, the mixture is thoroughly stirred with the dried ash, and the melted glue is added, stirred and tapped thoroughly, and placed in a mold for molding. The resulting long ink strips are placed in a cool place for six months to dry. Finally, refine the surface carefully and put on a coat of wax so that it becomes smooth and long-lasting.
2.The making of brushes 毛笔的制作
First, cut the slender, long black bamboo/Munro 紫竹(black bamboo is slender, tough and hard to break) into different segments. Bundle and place them in a cool place to dry before use. Take some fine hair from the neck of a sheep and the same from a rabbit’s neck, and put it in lime water to soak for one day. By removing impurities and soke, make the hair into the shape of the tip of a pen. Knot it and dry before use. Empty the segments of bamboo and apply glue in the inner walls, place the cooled pen tips inside. Put glue (glutinous rice pulp) onto the tips, gently stroke it and make it into shape (brushes made of wool is tough and soft, mainly used for painting. Those made of rabbit hair is soft and smooth, they can be used to practice calligraphy.)
3.The making of rough paper 粗纸制作
Take some bark from a paper mulberry tree 构树 and dry it, soak it in cold water for half a month. Stir it with grass ash and water and cook for about ten hours. Then, take out mixture to shred and chop, before putting it into a mold and wash it in a pool with clear water repeatedly. Then, dry it with fire to obtain the rough paper.
4.The making of an inkstone 砚的制作
Carve the Duanzhow inkstones 端砚石 (Duanzhow inkstones are found in ancient Duanzhou 端州, which is nowadays’ Zhaoqing City肇庆, Guangdong Province. The inkstones are found in the pits of Duanxi. Duanzhow inkstones originated during the years of Wude, during the Tang Dynasty. They have more than 1300 years of history. The texture of these inkstones are soft, moist; its ink is not stagnant, and it only gets dried up after three days. It is called the first of the four main inkstones in China). The part where the ink is made (the part where you rub/grind the inkstone to make ink out of it) needs to be polished by fine sand to make the surface grainy. This in turn makes it easier to produce ink. Finally, apply wax on the inkstone.
– 20190405 Magnolia vegetarian spring rolls + magnolia paste + magnolia crisps + deep-fried magnolias + magnolia omelet + magnolia tea (辛夷花/木兰花, magnolia also called: Mulan flower. That is why Li ziqi rides a horse with a long red cloak at the beginning of the video. Hua Mulan was a famous female general in Chinese History.)
– 20190412 Potherbs: Three Meals A Day
玉竹 (scented Solomon’s seal)
野韭菜 (wild Chinese leeks)
蒿葱子 (Wild green onions)
折耳根 (fish mints)
紫背天葵 (edible gynura)
刺龙包 (Chinese angelica-tree sprouts)
鸭脚板儿 (Ranunculus sieboldii)
Breakfast: warmwoods green dumplings, A.O stuffed steamed rice rolls, Solomon’s seal & toufu soup
Lunch: Cold dish(edible gynura and dried toufu), Preserved chicken with fiddleheads, Chinese angelica-tree sprouts stir-fried with preserved meats, fried Ranunculus sieboldii, fish mints eggs soup, wild Chinese leeks pan cakes
Supper: noodles serves with wild green onions and eggs
– 20190421 Visiting Bird’s Nest(Swallows) in Malaysia
– 20190422 Home-made salted duck eggs + Duck egg dishes (1. egg yolk sauce—materials:cooked duck eggs yolk+chopped sea moss+ cooked sesame seeds+black pepper+hot cooking oil; 2. duck egg white scrambled with rose petals; 3. rice with egg yolk sauce; 4. fried chicken wings with egg yolk sauce; 5. fried diced potatoes with egg yolk sauce; 6. Dandelion leaves and mature vinegar soup)
– 20190501 Home-made all kinds of flower hydrolats
1. Magnolia hydrolats
2. Chinese peony hydrolats
3. Mixed hydrolats(Damask roses, grapefruit flowers, blue lotuses, cat’s foot / centella, rosemaries, mints, and wormwoods )
– 20190510 Bamboo shoots feast
Shredded chicken mixed with spicy bamboo shoots (cold dish)
Shao-mai stuffed with diced meat and fresh bamboo shoots
Sichuan pickles fried with bamboo shoots
Making pickled bamboo shoots
Green Sichuan pepper mixed with shredded bamboo shoots (cold dish)
Dried bamboo shoots stewed with black-bone chicken
Dried bamboo shoots fried with Sichuan preserved meat
Steamed buns stuffed with dried bamboo shoots and pork
– 20190514 Dragon Boat Festival Specials
1.Hanging moxa grass
2.Sprinkling the realgar wine
3.Wearing five color hand straps
4.Eating glutinous rice dumplings(Zongzi)
(Glutinous rice should be soaked in fresh water for 12 hours to get the best taste; salty and sweet glutinous rice dumplings need to be cooked separately; glutinous rice dumplings should be cooked for 6 to 8 hours)
Salty glutinous rice dumplings:
Glutinous rice dumplings stuffed with salted duck egg yolks and pork belly
pork belly, dark soy source, soy source, rock sugar powder and white wine; salted duck egg yolks and white wine
(Glutinous rice will be much more delicious with some soy sauce)
Glutinous rice dumplings stuffed with dried preserved vegetables and pork belly
Glutinous rice + dried preserved vegetables + a little soy sauce
(dried preserved vegetables should be soaked in warm water for 40 minutes; cold water for 2 hours; hot water for 15 minutes)
Sweet glutinous rice dumplings:
Glutinous rice dumplings stuffed with rose paste, sweet fat pork and rice bean paste
Rose paste: Damask roses + rock sugar + fresh water
Sweet fat pork: fat pork + sugar powder
Rice bean paste: cook and filter to make the paste
Glutinous rice dumplings stuffed with rice beans and candied dates
Rice beans + candied dates
(rice beans should be soaked into fresh water for over 8 hours)
– 20190524 Green plums feast
Salted green plums (About half a year of the curing time)
Green plum wine(About one year of the fermentation time)
Green plum dew (About three months of the curing time)
Crisp green plums
Green plum tea (green plum dew + cucumber slices + mint leaves)
Cold dish: cucumber slices
Pork belly braised with salted green plums
Perch stewed with salted green plums
– 20190608 In this video, Li’s team appears on camera.(Li ziqi, cute assistant and cameraman)
1.Tomato boiled noodles with dough drop and assorted vegetable soup base; 2.Steam buns with fresh pork and bean; 3.Maimai Wine(Mama’s wine); 4.Home-made wheat beer / ale. 5.Beer braised crayfishes
1.Shiitake sauce(朵朵 means: one by one)
2.Leftover rice stewed with shiitake and Sichuan sausage
3.Dumplings stuffed with pork and shiitake
4.Savory vegetarian soup (canola, shiitake and tomatoes)
1.Apricot jam; 2.Peach jam; 3.Wild strawberry jam; 4.Raspberry jam; 5.Tomato jam; 6.Blueberry jam; 7.Mini pineapple jam; 8.Toast
1. Rose & cherry ice cream; 2. Mulberry & loquat ice cream; 3. Strawberry & green tea ice cream; 4. White peach & raspberry ice cream; 5. Pineapple & wild strawberry ice cream; 6. Durian ice cream; 7. Fresh green tea fried with egg; 8. Green tea salad(cold dish)
1. Pickled pepper and lotus sprout; 2.Stire-fried lotus sprout; 3.Lotus spring rolls; 4.Beggar’s chicken; 5.Lotus leaves Sui Mai; 6.Lotus and white tea; 7.Lotus paste with osmanthus flowers and nuts; 8. Deep-fried lotus petals.
1.Tomato and plum sauce salad; 2.Tomato sauce; 3.Tomato and spareribs soup pot; 4.Shredded chicken salad; 5.Vanilla tomato oil; 6.Peanuts milk; 7.Vegetable salad with vanilla tomato oil; 8.Toast
1.Fried pumpkin with salted duck egg yolk; 2.Pumpkin stew with rice; 3.Steamed pumpkin; 4.Pumpkin soup; 5.Pumpkin custard; 6.Pumpkin buns; 7.Boiled peanuts.
1.River Snail Rice Noodles / Luo Si Fen 螺蛳粉 ; 2.Sichuan bacon fried with bamboo shoots; 3.Cowpeas stir-fried with red pepper
-20190822 1.Canned yellow peaches; 2.Yellow peach jam; 3.Poached egg in fermented glutinous black rice soup; 4.Dried yellow peaches; 5.Plum juice with yellow peach sticky rice balls; 6.Pork ribs roasted with vanilla and yellow peaches
-20190906 1.Corn cake; 2.Corn chips; 3.Corn dough with spicy sauce; 4.Steam corn bread with diced Sichuan preserved meat; 5.Corn juicy; 6.Corn wine; 7.Roasted corn
1.Bazi meat(a famous dish in Shandong cuisine ); 2.Cold dish: shredded radish with spicy source; 3. Rice soup; 4. Rice cakes; 5.Rice crust
1. Brown sugar chestnut paste
2. Huurai budaa stewed with pumkin and rice (Huurai budaa 炒米 is a kind of millet糜子/黍, Huurai budaa is originated from Mongolian cuisine. Millet is one of Five Cereals in Ancient China-rice, two kinds of millet, wheat and beans)
3. Chestnut and black-bone chicken soup
4. Acorn jelly
5. Chestnut cup cakes
6. Roasted chestnuts
1. Tieguanyin chili sauce
2. Chili fish head
3. Epiphyllum soup(It reminds me of a dish my grandmother made for me when I was a kid-Epiphyllum egg soup 昙花蛋汤)
4. Steamed little taros (One delicious dish called “fried little taros”煎小芋头. My grandmother made this dish out of the sauce’s leftover from the braised pork ribs in Mid-autumn festival feast.)
5. Shredded peppers with century eggs (a famous cold dish of the Hunan cuisine)
6. Red oil flour doug
1. Roast Whole Lamb (Seasonings: Red chili powder; Sichuan pepper corn powder; cumin powder; salt; onions; green onions; ginger; soy sauce; cooking wine, fermented glutinous rice)
3. Sheep bone soup (sheep bones and turnips)
4. shepherd’s purse and lamb dumplings (Ingredients: shepherd’s purse; shredded lamb; onions; shredded fried eggs; soy sauce; salt; ginger; green onions)
1. Purple sweet potato rice cakes
2. Scrambled egg with shepherd’s purse
3. Purple sweet potato with soybean milk
1. Lunch: Spicy shredded chicken; Shepherd ‘s purse dumplings(Chicken and pig bones soup base) (There are many ways to cook dumplings in China. Common cooking methods: boiled dumplings with soup base; steamed dumplings with secret sauce; pan-fried dumplings etc)
Egg dumplings(a famous Hakka dish);
Magnolia berry juice;
Sichuan Hotpot(Two-flavor hotpot) :
Seasonings for spicy part: beef tallow/butter; garlic; ginger; Amomum tsao-ko;
nutmeg; fennel; anise; green & red Sichuan peppers; bay leaf; cinnamon; dried peppers;cloves; onions; green onions; cilantro; thick broad bean paste; rock sugar; fermented soya beans; fermented glutinous rice; fine salt
Seasonings for non-spicy part: Chicken and pig bones soup base; Chinese red dates; green onions
Ingredients: Crispy meat(酥肉); OX-Many-Plies(omasum) ; lamb slices; duck intestines; potato slices; pea shoots; Chinese cabbage; mustard stems; radish slices; shepherd’s purse; broccoli; lettuce;
Fruits: kumquats; persimmons;
(OX-Many-Plies & duck intestines are a must in Sichuan spicy hotpot)
1. Sour pig’s knuckles (A famous Canton dish, it is particularly popular with women. )
2. Ginger rice tea
3. Duck braised with tender ginger
4. Kumquat & ginger sauce
5. Brown sugar ginger paste
1. Boild Choy Sum (A famous Cantonese dish);
2. Kiln roast chicken (A famous Canton Hakka’s dish);
3. Steamed rice with red-cooked shredded pork;
4. Cucumber preserved with soy sauce
The video ends with a song(name: 消愁 by singer 毛不易) that Li ziqi plays a guitar and sings. After almost one month of silence, she was back. Stay Strong, Li ziqi.
Pork liver steamed with salted egg yolk
Pig tripe with chicken (A typical Hakka dish猪肚包鸡)
Fluffing cotton actually refers to fluffing cotton batting and cotton mattresses. After removing the seed in the cotton, we need to use a bow to fluff it. For cotton quilt and cotton coat, this step is included in the processing method. In the past, if there’s cotton as a dowry, it was probably newly fluffed cotton. Most of the families also fluffed old cotton and reprocessed it.
Cotton fluffing tools include large wooden bows with tendons as strings, wooden clogs, shovel heads, grinding plates, etc. When fluffing the cotton, workers use their wooden clogs to frequently hit the bow, loosening the cotton on the plate. Then, the two sides of the cotton batting are woven into a net shape by two people to get fixed. After the gauze is ready, it is ground with a wooden plate to be made flat, tough and firm. According to folk customs, they generally use white yarn. However, the cotton used for dowry must contain red and green yarn to indicate good fortune. When fluffing old cotton, the old yarn on the surface must be removed first. Then, it’s rolled into a bundle, held with both hands on the shovel head full of nail heads, torn loose and fluffed with a bow.
When I was a child, as soon as it was in early Autumn, many people from other provinces started carrying large cotton-fluffing tools and yelled along the streets “fluff your quit, renovate your quilt, make a new quilt.” In order to have a fluffy and warm quit for the winter, many families took out their old quilt for renovation. During the Chinese New Year or celebration of a new marriage, people might buy a whole new quilt as well.
The small shops of quilt-fluffing had become extremely dynamic from dawn to dusk. The price of renovating a quilt varied from 5 to 8 yuan, and that to buy a new one varied from 40 to 80 yuan. I used to stand aside and watch whenever I passed a quilt-fluffing shop after school, and I’d watch the workers holding their bow skillfully picking old cotton, making these “deng deng” sound with rhythm. After a lot of effort, a blackish/brownish quilt would be transformed into a pure and white quilt. I even picked the cotton fibre fell on the ground to make a warm nest for my quail at home.
-20200320 The Life of blue and white printed calico part1 part2 (Wikipedia: Nantong blue calico). It took Li ziqi almost a year to film this video. There are four traditional ways to dye this type of calico, and she finally chose Batik to complete the fabric.
Cherry bozai cakes(Chinese cakes)
Peony rice rolls
Purple sweet potato and sweetrocket flower cakes
Chinese yam and peach blossom balls
Pear flower egg rolls
Pickled sweet garlic
Shredded pork with garlic sauce(A famous Sichuan dish 蒜泥白肉, it’s gonna take good knife work to cut very thin slices of pork.)
Garlic marinated chicken feet
Braised pork in brown sauce, garlic flavor
Fish mint in garlic sauce (A famous Sichuan cold dish. A lot of people can’t stand its special smell.)
-20200427 The life of peas
Fried peas with minced meat
Stir-fried flat beans
Salty fried peas
Steamed pea flour cake with rose jam
Stir-fried pea shoots
Trotter noodle with soup and peas
-20200519 The life of Wheat
麦芽糖 Malt sugar
画糖人 Sugar-coated figurine
手扯麦芽麻糖 Hand-made sesame malt candy
香酥小麻花 Crunchy fried dough twists
凉皮 Cold noodles
手擀面 Hand-made noodles
烤面筋 Baked gluten
肉夹馍（红烧肉馅）Chinese hamburgers (pork stuffing)
猪肉包子 Meat buns
-20200603 The life of Potato
Deep Fried Potato Cakes 香煎土豆饼
Salty baked small potatoes 盐烤小土豆
Mashed potatoes 土豆泥
Spiced crayfishes 五香小龙虾
Braised pork ribs with potatoes 土豆焖排骨
Fried shredded potatoes 辣炒土豆丝
Backed chips 烤薯片
Hot and sour noodles 砂锅土豆粉
Shrimp dumplings(crayfishes) 蒸虾饺
Herbal tea花茶（jasmine茉莉花，Haw flakes山楂片）
Downy peaches 毛桃
Bobo’s Chicken 钵钵鸡 (A famous dish in Leshan, Sichuan. Bo 钵, is a kind of bowl like pottery.)
Egg-Yolk Puff (duck’s egg, ) 蛋黄酥
Raised Bamboo Shoot 油焖笋
Brown Sugar Glutinous Rice Cake红糖糍粑
Guanyin Bean Jelly观音凉粉
Loach Soup with Sichuan Pickles酸菜泥鳅汤
Lotus leaf Rice (glutinous rice, a famous dish in Jiangsu and Zhejiang.)荷叶糯米饭
Salty Zongzi 肉粽子（Pork and mung beans）
Sweet Zongzi 碱水粽子 (Brown sugar syrup, refined sugar or honey)
Spicy hot pot 麻辣烫 Ma La Tang (Hakka egg dumplings, quail eggs, and vegetables)
Do you like sweet zongzi or salty zongzi?
Dark Plum and Tomato Sauce 梅汁番茄
Tomato Hotpot 番茄火锅 (Because of a famous hotpot restaurant, tomato soup-based hotpot has become popular in recent years.)
酱黄瓜 Pickled cucumber with soy sauce
鸡枞菌油 Collybia Albuminosa oil
黄瓜皮炒腊肉 Fried bacon with cucumber peels
鸡丝凉面（Soba noodels荞麦面）Cold noodles with chicken shreds
鸡枞菌黄瓜炒饭 Fried rice with Collybia Albuminosa and cucumber
酱瓜鸡肉卷饼 Pickled cucumber and chicken rolls
黄瓜皮肉丸子汤 Cucumber shred and meatball soup
– 20200807 The Life of Okra and Bamboo Fence
凉拌秋葵 Cold dish : Okra in sauce
秋葵拌土豆泥 Okra and mashed potato in sauce
秋葵肉卷（五花肉）Okra meat rolls (Pork)
秋葵虾仁滑蛋 Fried shrimp with okra and egg
秋葵虾仁面 Okra and shrimp noodles
花鱼汤 Fish soup
烤秋葵 Baked okra
秋葵茶 Okra tea[/col_inner_3] [/row_inner_3]
- 玫瑰花茶 Rose tea
- 玫瑰花露 Rose dew
- 红糖玫瑰酱 Brown sugar & rose sauce
- 玫瑰糖浆 Rose syrup
- 玫瑰牛轧糖 Rose nougat
- 玫瑰花糯米藕 Lotus root filled with glutinous rice and roses
- 玫瑰花饼 Roasted rose cakes
- 玫瑰花米酒 Rose wine
- 玫瑰酒酿汤圆 Rose wine boiled with glue pudding
1.凉拌西瓜皮 Watermelon winds in sauce
3.瓜皮猪蹄冻 Trotter jelly
4.卤花生 Salty peanuts
5.卤肉拼盘 Pot-stewed meat plate
6.家酿葡萄酒 Home-made wine
- 紫米酒 Purple rice wine
- 紫米板栗蒸排骨 Steamed spare ribs with chestnut and purple rice
- 紫米糍粑 Purple rice cake
- 炝南瓜苗 Fried pumpkin sprouts
- 鸡蛋炒南瓜丝 Scrambled egg with pumpkin sprouts
- 卤花生毛豆 Salty peanut and peas
- 紫米松糕月饼 Purple rice moon cakes
- 苋菜鱼头汤 Amaranth and fish head soup
- 紫米酒酿熏鱼 Purple rice wine steamed with grass carp
- 烤南瓜 Baked pumpkin
Important events of Li ziqi
– 2012 – She went back to her hometown to take care of her grandmother
– 2015 – First try on shooting a short video
– 2016 – At the beginning of the year, she first used the logo that says ‘Walking M-style’, then she used ‘Li Ziqi’ as her logo.
– In March 2016, she bought her own tripod and SLR.
– In April 2016, she began uploading short videos on Weibo.
– In September 2016, with the help of the ‘L Couple’, her videos had a chance of being promoted with supports from Weibo.
– On 13th May 2017, she announced that she would stop updating her Weibo. That is because some audience were attacking her online and accusing her for having a professional team to back her up.
At this time, her grandmother had also heard about the rumor and she was worried about the safety of Li Ziqi. One time when her grandmother was working, she accidentally cut and hurt her finger as she couldn’t concentrate. In turn, Li Ziqi published a long article and announced that she was going to pause the update of her videos.
– On 13th May 2017, a special video was put online, showing her audience how to finish the whole video shooting and editing process with a tripod and a SLR.
– On 18th May 2017, she announced that she would hire a part-time photographer. One can see that after June, the quality of her videos dramatically increased. However, Li Ziqi still decided on the video content and angle.
– In May 2017, Li Ziqi registered her own company “Li Ziqi”. It’s a company with two people – herself and her photographer.
– On 17 June 2017, she was selected as one of Ten ‘culinary celebrities’ at ‘Festival of Super Celebrities’.
– She was selected as one of the top ten influential bloggers on Weibo in the ‘Summit of Influence in Gastronomy’.
– 4th August 2017, she was awarded as the best actress in the second edition of the ‘THE BEST MOMENT’.
– In 2017, she was rated the first on the leaderboard of Miaopai power of influence
– In 2017, she was awarded the best culinary short video in the third edition of ‘THE BEST MOMENT’.
– In 2017, she had the most popular playlist on Weibo.
– On 28th February 2017, due to much disturbance from the outside, Li Ziqi moved away from her home and it has been rented to her relatives. It was because two other popular vloggers on the Internet secretly installed monitors and an interceptor at Li Ziqi’s home and had since monitored her action remotely. Even the police were involved in this incident.
– In 2018, she was awarded the YouTube Silver Award.
– In January 2019, she was awarded as the best actress in the forth edition of the ‘THE BEST MOMENT’.
– On 6th March 2019. Official Announcement from Li ziqi Youtube Channel, declaring the only official Channel on the Youtube.
– On 3rd August 2019. Li is awarded with the “Biggest Fans” and the “Most Marketable Vlogger” of 2019 Sina Weibo Superstar.
– On 25th August 2019. Li ziqi’s company issued a statement to take legal action against counterfeit products and to defend Li’s rights.
– On 17th October 2019. Li ziqi took part in the “7th International Festival of the Intangible Cultural Heritage.Chengdu” as a guest. And She met some fans after the opening ceremony.
– On 1st November 2019. Li ziqi’s first “Pop-up Shop” opens from November 1st to 30th. The store mainly displays handicrafts and food.
– On 2nd November 2019. Li ziqi attended the events- “the 40th Anniversary in China” of the World Food Programme.
*If you like this post, please share it*